Take-aways from an MIT talk in 2016
Build a superstar team – “Personal ability is important but dependability is critical”
- The 5E’s of successful teams: Energy, effort, enthusiasm, emotion, execution.
- Do not change your team’s identity, goals, standards.
- Always have a vision, a plan, execution, patience.
Focus on the process, not the result
- The outcome takes care of itself when you are not fixated on results. Focus on:
- Committing to preparation: align team on visions and goals.
- Embracing (not just accepting) the process: it requires effort and grit.
- Trusting the team’s performance - “train it and trust it”: find a rhythm that works for your team and trust them to perform.
- “Always focus on next play” – every setback is a setup for a comeback.
Aspire for the best
- Make the impossible possible: Set an ambitious vision that people want to be part of.
- Be humble and ask for help.
- Be compassionate with your employees - You owe it to them and to the team to be honest, give guidance, and sometimes let go when there’s not a good fit.
- Your team’s success empowers and creates value to your surroundings - investors, community.. Always try to enable better communication, ownership and opportunities for others.
- Value talent and recognize game changers - some team members will leave to pursue their own dreams and you should recognize and encourage these talents.
Special thanks: Martin Trust Centre, MIT